Women love their beauty, and their hair is an inseparable part of their personalities. Whether it is a matter of personal expression, social norms, or showing confidence, there is no denying that hairstyles matter a lot to women.
This is precisely why you must choose a haircut that makes you happy, boosts your personality, and makes you feel comfortable.
There are many styles to choose from for girls, each with unique advantages and disadvantages. One of the most famous and adopted styles is the “feather haircut.”
And in this specific blog post, we will go into great detail about it to learn why it is so popular, its advantages and drawbacks, the popular cuts of this style in 2023, and the maintenance tips. So, let’s get started and learn about this popular hairstyle without further ado.
What is a feather cut, and how can one perform it?
It is a hairstyle that creates a feather-like look to strands, and it involves cutting the hair at a specific angle to create long layers that blend seamlessly at the ends of the strands.
While doing this hairstyle, your stylist will hold your hair at a 90-degree angle to give it a “V” shape and featherlike appearance. Moreover, this hairstyle is popular among women because it can be customized to individual preferences. Furthermore, it can add dimension to any hair type without sacrificing the natural and soft look.
Brief history and popularity of the feather cut
This haircut became popular in the 70s, 80s, and 20th century, and many celebrities, including Princess Diana, Farrah Fawcett, and even male actor John Travolta, wore it. Even in the 21st century, this particular hairstyle has been famous due to its uniqueness and features. As per Wikipedia, it was designed to create a layered effect for hair at the end part of the strands that can be carried with either a center or side parting.
How to perform the feather styles haircut?
Undoubtedly, this hairstyle, despite being old, still looks modern, and here are the steps to perform it.
- First, you need to wash your hair and dry them.
- Untangle the hair using a comb, part your head from the middle to one side, and bring the hair down.
- Hold a small section of your hair from the front of your head, near your temple area, keep them at a 45-degree angle, and cut them with scissors.
- Repeat the same process on the other side of your head, and then work towards the back of your head and take this more section from here to cut them at a 45-degree angle.
Once you cut the hair from the necessary areas of your head, create the layers at the front and back, which will lead to a seamless look.
What are the benefits of a feather cut for long, short, and thin hair?
The feather haircut gets the thumbs up from all individuals having long, short, or thin hair because of its benefits in each category. Here are the benefits he brings to all these hair categories, explained individually.
- It can add movement and texture to long, short, or thin hair
- With the help of this haircut, you can get a soft and feminine look and add dimension and depth to the long hair.
- It helps reduce the weight and volume of long hair so you can manage them easily.
- The best thing about this haircut is that you can style it however you want, such as sleek or stately, or go for a loose wave.
- Since the hair in this cut is cut to the lowest parts of the strands, the loss of hair is lower than in other types of haircut, such as layered haircut.
- Even medium-length to shorter hair and thin can look bouncier and have more volume.
- This style is one of the easiest to maintain compared to many other haircut styles that are popular among women.
The top 9 custom feather cut styles to choose from in 2023
One of the most significant advantages of choosing feathered-styled hair is the ability to customize it. And there are a variety of styles to choose from. However, here are the top eight:
- Long-Layered Feather: This style of layered feather cut for long hair is ideal if you want a soft, free-flowing look that can add dimension and movement to your lengthy hair.
- Feather-styled Pixie Cut: This hairstyle features a short pixie cut combined with the feathered style to add custom texture and volume, making it easy to maintain. It has a modern yet carefree style.
- Short hair with feathering and layering: You can glam up your look like a star using both layered and feathered hair for short-length hair. Like Meg Ryan did with her short chin-length hair.
- Feather shag cut: This particular hairstyle is another excellent option that you must consider in 2023, and it is a superb style for creating a messy and textured look. You can get that hairstyle by combining a shag cut with a feathered style.
- Feather-tipped braids: Want to ditch the traditional braid look? Add feather tips to your tresses to achieve a more modern but natural look.
- Fringe feather haircut: Choose this haircut for a quirky but adorable look. Anushka Sharma and DishaPatani look stunning with feathered fringe in their long hair.
- Layered Poker Straight-feathered for Fine Hair: Need thick, high-volume hair for fine, medium-length hair? There are no problems because the feathered haircut can be combined with fine hair. It compliments most faces because it offers a textured look where the end strands of feathers that fall on shoulders make them look stunning.
- Feather cut style for long Indian hair: Indian women typically have thick, long hair, so going feather style with a few highlights wherever needed is an excellent option. It is one of the most popular hairstyles in Indian salons, and it has been worn by actresses such as Katrina Kaif, Priyanka Chopra, and Deepika Padukone.
- Ponyy feather haircut: in such a style, you create layers at the end strands of the side, back, and front hair and adjust them to make a pony and let some hair fall on the forehead, or you can be innovative and create your own unique pony look with feather layers to the end of your strands
Best tips for the maintenance of feature-cut-styled hair
If you get a feathered hairstyle, you’ll worry about maintaining it. Furthermore, if you like your hairstyle, you will want to keep it and maintain it for a long time. So, here are the five most important tips for keeping your hairstyle intact and in good condition.
1. Use high-quality products
Whether you want to wash your hair with shampoo or give it style with cream, make your hair shine by using some spray, but make sure you use a high-quality and durable product so that your hairstyle remains intact for a long time.
2. Protect your hair
Another good tip I can give you is that you should protect your hair from every kind of harm, for example, from the sun and dust, and avoid too much use of hair products. However, if you do decide to use a few, ensure they are made of natural ingredients.
3. Dry your hair properly
Using a dryer helps you keep your hairstyle in place. Make sure you use a round brush and dry your hair using the hair dryer in the download motion to keep your look intact. However, ensure you are not using too much of it because it can cause damage to your hair.
4. Keep your hair clean and wash it regularly
Keeping styled hair clean and washing it regularly will help you keep strands healthy, and it will also help with the feathered style as well.
5. Do not neglect the trimming
Another step to maintaining your haircut for a long time is to trim your hair regularly. Trimming will help you keep your hair looking fresh and wholesome. The recommended period for regular trimming is every 6 to 8 weeks.
1. What’s the difference between layered and feathered hair?
Answer: The primary distinction between these two well-known hairstyles is that the feathered style focuses on the ends of your strands, and the stylist will aim to give them a v-shape effect to make them appear as feathers, whereas, in a layered haircut, your stylist will add different layers to all of your hair.
2. How long does the feathered haircut last?
Answer: Generally, the style can last between 3 to 6 months, depending on the individual hair type, the style you have chosen, maintenance, and the quality of the stylist.
3. Is it a good idea to go with a thin hair feather cut hairstyle?
Answer: Since this hairstyle aims to add a voluminous and bouncy appearance by cutting the ends off your strands, the stylist won’t cut lots of hair; it is good for thin hair.
4. Is it a good choice to go with a feathered-styled hair look?
Answer: This particular hairstyle has been famous since the 1970s, and you will find celebrities carrying it. Now, even though it is an old style. One of the best things about feather-styled strands is that you can customize them with other styles like waves, curls, and beads. So, this style is never out of fashion.
5. How much do I need to pay for a feathered-style haircut?
Answer: The pricing depends on many factors, like your hair, the kind of salon you choose, or the kind of custom style you want to go for. However, general pricing in Indian rupees could be between 500 and 1000 rs, and in dollars, it would be somewhere between $10 and $20.